Dispelling the Myth: “You cannot lose weight while on cancer hormone therapy as a cancer survivor!”
When faced with the challenge of hormone therapy as a cancer survivor, many individuals might hear discouraging remarks that losing weight is an unattainable feat due to the treatment. However, let’s clear the air and debunk this myth once and for all – you absolutely can lose weight and lead a healthy life on hormone therapy. Countless cancer survivors have shown that it’s not only possible but also essential for overall well-being and to support reducing risk of cancer recurrence. In this article, we’ll explore the truth behind the myth and provide seven evidence-based nutrition tips to support a healthy body and reduce cancer risk while undergoing hormone therapy.
Debunking the Myth: Weight Loss on Hormone Therapy
The idea that weight loss is impossible on hormone therapy is rooted in misconceptions. While hormone therapy can affect metabolism and appetite, it doesn’t make weight loss unachievable. In fact, maintaining a healthy weight can be even more crucial for cancer survivors, as it supports the body’s immune system, reduces inflammation, and improves overall quality of life.
Testimonials of Triumph: Real Stories from The Oncology Dietitian 1:1 Clients
Dozens of my cancer survivor clients inside my 1:1 coaching program have demonstrated that when they have wanted to lose excess weight while on hormone therapy it is not only feasible but also incredibly beneficial – as they feel better in their body and about their appearance. They’ve not only managed their weight but have also experienced improved energy levels, reduced side effects, and enhanced emotional well-being. The journey isn’t without challenges, but with dedication, informed choices, and expert guidance, it’s a path paved with victories. CLICK HERE to apply to VIP 1:1 Cancer Nutrition Coaching.
7 Nutrition Tips for Meal Times to Support Health and Reduce Cancer Risk on Hormone Therapy
- Prioritize Plant-Based Foods: Fill your plate with a colorful array of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. These foods are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that support your immune system and help in reducing cancer risk.
- Choose Lean Protein Sources: Opt for lean protein sources like poultry, fish, tofu, and legumes. Protein is essential for tissue repair, immune function, and maintaining muscle mass during weight loss.
- Mindful Portions: Pay attention to portion sizes. Eating mindfully can help prevent overeating and support weight management. Listen to your body’s hunger and fullness cues.
- Healthy Fats: Incorporate sources of healthy fats like avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil. These fats are anti-inflammatory and provide essential nutrients for your body’s needs.
- Stay Hydrated: Hydration is key for overall health. Water supports digestion, circulation, and helps manage appetite. Aim to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Limit Processed Foods: Minimize processed foods and sugary snacks. These can contribute to inflammation and hinder weight loss efforts. Focus on whole, nutrient-dense options.
- Balanced Meals: Create balanced meals that include a variety of nutrients. Aim for a combination of protein, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and fiber to provide sustained energy and support your body’s functions.
In Conclusion: Your Journey, Your Triumph
As a cancer survivor on hormone therapy, remember that your journey is unique, and the potential for weight loss and a healthier lifestyle is within your grasp! The myth that weight loss is unattainable during hormone therapy is just that – a myth. Countless survivors have proven otherwise, and with evidence-based nutrition strategies, expert guidance, and your determination, you can achieve your health goals and thrive throughout your journey. Embrace the power of informed choices and the support of a community that believes in your potential.
Get access to my most popular bundle of my top-selling masterclasses, “Nutrition for Hormone-Sensitive Cancers” + “Weight Loss Using Behavior Change”. This private cancer nutrition training series will be focusing on how to live and manage hormone-sensitive cancers during and after treatments + behavior changes and food choice awareness (not obsession or restriction!) for sustainable weight loss success, at any age! CLICK HERE to shop it!
This blog is not intended as medical nutrition therapy, medical advice, or diagnosis and should in no way replace consultation or recommendations from your medical professional.